17 Jul Oscar O’BryanB.A., LL.B (Hons), Dip Mus (Practical) - Senior Associate
Oscar’s interests lie at the intersection of the law and the creative/cultural and media industries. He holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons), a Bachelor of Arts, and a Diploma of Music (Practical) from the University of Melbourne.
Oscar joined Marshalls + Dent in 2012 from the Centre for Media and Communications Law at the Melbourne Law School, where he worked as a research and editorial assistant. Oscar has since developed a broad practice in the Media Department, specialising in production legal work on film and television projects. He has worked on a number of feature films, including Mental, Predestination, Turkey Shoot Reloaded, Only the Dead, Dance Academy: The Comeback and Pawno, and television programs including The Doctor Blake Mysteries (seasons 3, 4 and 5) The Time of Our Lives, Prisoner Zero, Cheese Slices and Danger Five (season 2). Oscar is particularly experienced with:
- Film and television production financing
- Industrial agreements such as the AFFCA, ATPA and ATRRA
- Music for film and television
- intellectual property clearances
- defamation advice
- copyright infringement advice and litigation
- advice on misappropriation of trading reputation and goodwill (misleading and deceptive conduct, ‘passing off’, and related areas
Outside of work, Oscar is actively involved in Melbourne’s music scene. He DJs regularly at Rooftop Bar and other venues around town, and plays trumpet in the contemporary electronic music group Speed Painters. Every now and again Oscar also has the pleasure of playing trumpet with deep pop thinkers Dick Diver.